Sunday, May 22, 2011

My church calling...hiking with the Webelos

There are some things about my church calling that make me crazy, but I have to say that this part of it is pretty fun. I was on the staff of the District Webelos Day Hike and since I was the first volunteer and the only one to show up to the first planning meeting, I got the sweet job of being the hike leader for the activity.  One of the things that made it the most fun is that lots of the boys that were there were former kindergarten students, or siblings of former students, in the class that I aide in.  It was fun to hang out with a bunch of fun kids and adults in the beautiful out of doors for most of the day.  We hiked, tied knots, learned about Leave No Trace and fire building and made ropes and fished for crawdads.  The Order of the Arrow came and entertained us and the boys got to participate in their feather dance.   One of the kids said, "Wow, this is the best hike I've ever been on!" At the end, one little guy, a very energetic one, told me that he guessed that he probably wouldn't feel like riding his bike after he got home after all.  Knowing him and his activity level, I think we did a good job of wearing these little guys out having a great time and learning a lot in the process.  I think I can say that we reached our objectives.  The adult leaders were absolutely great.  One young couple in our stake that are Webelos leaders came, brought their boys and to do it had to bring their one year old in a back pack too.  The little guy had a great time eating rocks and playing in the dirt and wasn't any problem.  The leaders of the different classes were great too.  So, all together, it made for a great day. 

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.