Monday, January 17, 2022

Dutchman's Draw and cancer update!

 Friday morning, January 14th, should go down in my history as being one of the BEST DAY'S EVER!  It was my follow-up appointment for my PET scan following my 6th and final chemo of this series of Bendamustine/Rituxin and Eudynica shots. I started this series in July 2021 and did a once a month Thursday/Friday chemo at the Cancer Center and then got the Eudynica shot on Saturday mornings at the hospital infusion center.  The first one was pretty bad, 2nd, 3rd and 4th not as bad.  The 5th one I had a cold to go with it and lots of other stress going on besides and it was the worst in some ways and the 6th was hard because of the cumulative effects, but good because it was last!  Overall, it wasn't too bad compared to what I see other people going through.  I had some nausea, but it was pretty well controlled by the meds for it.  I didn't lose my hair.  I was tired, depressed, maybe some chemo brain not being able to concentrate, and sometimes it was hard to eat or nothing tasted very good. And I was very tired. The worst part was the constipation caused by other drugs for nausea, allergic reactions, etc.  I didn't have allergic reactions either.  So, really, I can't complain and don't feel like I really had the terrible experience that most people seem to have, but I'm still very glad it's over with!  And I'm very thankful!!!  After the PET scan I read the on-line report and was pretty bummed when I read that there was still some cancer going on.  The above the diaphragm stuff was zapped gone by the chemo, but there was still some activity below the diaphragm.  And that made me think I'd be doing more full chemo or at least some maintenance with Rituxin.  Paul went with me to the appointment and I let the doctor know I'd read the written report.  He said we should just take a look at the scans.  And it was so amazing to see the before and after scans.  The before scan was really covered in active cancer areas!  It was actually pretty scary to see how much there was.  And then the after scan had just this tiny bit!  So he said I didn't have to do any more chemo now!!! He said this was great and just what they wanted to have happen and that I can go back to the watch and wait status.  He said maintenance was kind of a yes/no option since they don't have really great data to show how effective/helpful it really is.  He said I could have a remission of who knows how long.  So I will just go in every 3 months now and have a CT scan at 6 to see how things are going and try to just keep track of how I'm feeling.  (I kind of worry about that since I didn't really feel bad before because it just kind of crept up on me slowly without me noticing.) So, it's not a NED (no evidence of disease) outcome, but it is the next best thing and I am so thankful and relieved at this point!  

We just kind of went around feeling elated that day and taking it easy.  We didn't really do anything to celebrate too much.  Tried to take G'ma to lunch, but she wasn't up to it.  We just relaxed and enjoyed the day together. Then on Saturday we went out and hiked an old favorite - Dutchman's Draw!  It was a perfect winter hike in the desert.  It is such an amazing place.  Then we relaxed for the afternoon and had G'ma come and eat our Ham and Bean soup for dinner.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.