Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Real Training Hike

Last Saturday Paul was busy with a Scout Camporee, so I had to go it solo if I wanted to get out.  I felt really strange going without him, but I knew I really needed to get some training if I'm going to make it without expiring on the rim-to-rim hike we are planning for UEA.  We are doing it with my friend/co-worker Lynne from school.  It's something we all have on our "bucket lists".  Paul and I are worried that she will leave us in her dust if we don't get crackin'.  So I followed her lead and headed up to hike Observation Point Trail in Zion.  I decided I would be doing well if I could do it at 3 miles per hour on the uphill portion.  It is 4 miles up and has a 2100 foot elevation gain, so there was plenty of heavy breathing going on, but I did make my time goal.  It was magnificent!!!  The views and cool fallish weather were superb. I felt so ON TOP OF THE WORLD when I got up there!  I actually met up with Lynne just before I reached the top.  She started down and then turned around (crazy woman) and headed back up to meet me.  We hiked down together taking a little side trip over to see Hidden Canyon.  It was worth the extra few miles.  I had never seen it before.  I didn't remember to time myself on the way down, so don't know how I did on the that part.  It was a great day and I felt like I got some good up and downhill training in for sure.  There were times when it did feel reminiscent of our last hike out of the Grand Canyon and I had just a few malignant thoughts creep into my mind - "Are you crazy? Would any sane person want to hike rim-to-rim?"

There were flowers and water in the slot canyons and lots of green because of all of our recent rain.  So lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.