Paul was part of the committee who planned our stake youth pioneer trek and I kind of tagged along during some of the planning activities (camping out in the Kaibab checking out the possible routes) and ended up going along as an "auntie" for one of the families when quite a few people couldn't go at the last minute. Not being a real favorite among the teen set I'm not sure I was a very much enjoyed asset to our little family, but I was an asset as far as working hard and trying to help out wherever I could see a need. We had a great Ma and Pa and some great kids who were very cooperative and some who were a bit less cooperative. It was a good learning experience as far a trying to get just a little bit of the feeling of what it might have been like to be a part of such a journey. I'm glad I went, and I was so glad to get home for a shower and to sleep in my very own, soft, warm bed! The one night of shivering in my sleeping bag without that extra wool blanket I should have taken and then waking up to frost on that sleeping bag was a very good learning experience. Having watched 17 Miracles the night before made me realize that my tiny freeze and frost experience was pretty much nothing compared to what many of the pioneers experienced on a daily basis in the way of physical discomforts.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.