Sunday, January 19, 2014

Snow Canyon was smashing...

Yesterday we did a beautiful, perfect weather morning ride on West Canyon Road in Snow Canyon.  Everything went great except for a quick crash on the way back down.  It is so nice to be able to pick up some speed coming down after all of the huffing and puffing on the way up.  I was looking ahead down the road and noticed a bit of a wash out on my side and decided to switch to the other side to avoid it...smash! Down I went.  As near as I can tell I hit a very dry, hard rut ridge and just laid it down sliding a little way, some of it on my face.  I can't believe how blessed it am.  My helmet, layers of clothes and gloves saved lots of damage.  Got a little scrape on my left shoulder, a more painful one on my right knee, a little one my right elbow, a scrape on my chin and upper lip and a fat lip.  The worst part is probably that I must have landed on my left hand that is still sore from when I took a crash in the big snowstorm last month.  Now to go along with my healing, but still swollen and sore hyper-extended thumb, I have a swollen, very jammed and bruised middle finger.  Again, tho' I feel blessed that nothing is broken and it is the left hand, so I am only partially lamed. Another thing to be really thankful for is that no one saw it happen.  My pride is intact and the bike is fine.  I had to lay in the road for a minute and then realized that, yes, I could ride out.  We stopped off and did a little hike along the way out too.  I did feel the need to slow it down on the rest of the ride.  So glad I didn't break a tooth either.  Going to be stiff for a day or two, but should be fine soon.  Feel pretty stupid that it wasn't even anything technical...just a nice dirt road other than one very badly placed rut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.