We had the good fortune of a visit with Grandma Poulsen for a few days. It ended up as a nice visit with all the family around these parts and Jay and Brynn were able to make it down for part of the time, even after just barely moving into their new house. We had little dinner parties with different ones of the family to try to keep the noise level down and make it more conducive for visiting with Grandma. It was lots of fun. We probably wore her out in the process. We thought she was getting here Saturday afternoon so Moss and Christie joined us and Jay and Brynn. The arrival didn't happen when expected, so we just had a good time hanging out at the Farmer's markets and the Town Square. Madi and Brenden had a fine time in the water at both places. In the afternoon we took a break from the heat and watched the last Harry Potter (Paul and I have been going through the series to get ready to go to the final one) and then had dinner and played games. Moss and Christie and Grandma Kurtz joined with us and Jay and Brynn for Sunday dinner before we had to send Jay and Brynn off to their new house.
On Monday we took the Grandmas and Brynnli over to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and wore them all out with the walking and high elevation, but had a good time in the process. There was quite a bit of napping in the car in route to and from. We had a late lunch at Jacob's Lake and then headed back to Toquerville where Lou and Ferf had a delicious dinner ready for all of us. We had a nice visit there.
| (Too bad we didn't get Ryan and Bryan or Paul in a picture. Ryan and Bryan were too busy arguing about who was old and who was distinguished to realize they missed having their picture taken.) |
Wednesday we had to send Grandma Poulsen back to Washington with Janet and Tony. They had come down for a speech/meetings that Tony needed to attend up at Brian Head and to celebrate their anniversary. We had a good time visiting with all of you. Thanks for making time to visit and helping with the meals in the process. Grandma Poulsen will be 90 in December and we have to take every opportunity to enjoy her company when she's close by. Hopefully Juge and Lance will get to see her as she passes through SLC on her way home.
While Grandma was here she shared a poem that I had never heard her say before. It was pretty cute. I think all of you got to hear it. Here's a copy in case some of the kids would like to learn it some time.
"A Mortifying Mistake" by Anna Maria Pratt
I studied my tables over and over
And backward and forward too
But I couldn't remember six times nine
And I didn't know what to do
'Til my sister told me to play with my doll
And not to bother my head
"If you call her 'Fifty-four' for awhile
You'll learn it by heart', she said.
So I took my favorite, Mary Anne,
Though I thought 'twas a dreadful shame
To give such a perfectly lovely child
Such a perfectly horrible name,
And I called her my little Fifty-four
A hundred times 'til I knew
The answer of six times nine
As well as the answer of two times two.
Next day, Elizabeth Wigglesworth,
Who always acted so proud
Said, "Six times nine is fifty-two,
And I nearly laughed out loud
But I wished I hadn't when teacher said,
"Now Dorothy, tell if you can."
For I thought of my doll and sakes alive!
I answered, "Mary Anne!"




By the way I won the argument Ryan is older than me and I do look more distinguished than him and it has nothing to do with my gray hair:)
ReplyDelete